Especially: translation dictionaries.
Weirdly hard to get decent translation dictionaries that integrate into your device/OS of choice. Most electronic dictionary companies prefer to sell you an overblown, overpriced piece of custom software with an inferior user experience and that doesn’t run on your smartphone, rather than just selling you a dictionary data file for one of the dictionary applications that comes built in to your OS.
I don’t want more dictionary software, I want a dictionary data file for my existing software.
Translation dictionary sources
- Stardict, the original dictionary format conversion tool, has been shut down a few times now in aforementioned intellectual property disputes about companies who would rather sell you unsatisfactory software than an actual dictionary
- goldendict is a successor to the beleaguered stardict (linux, windows, especially Russian-friendly)
- lingaea converts some dictionary formats too. (especially Czech-friendly)
- makedict is trying to unify all the standards.
- pyglossary is the no-fuss python converter. Seems to work well, so long as you avoid the GUI, which is a nightmare horrorfuck, so turn it off using --ui=cmd. This is the one I ended up using.
to make Apple dictionaries bareback you need the dictionary development kit as part of the Auxiliary tools for Xcode (You do NOT need xcode) then to do some magical XML processing. This can be automated using pyglossary:
~/Software/pyglossary/pyglossary.pyw --ui=cmd --read-options=resPath=OtherResources --write-format=AppleDict Duden_Synonym.BGL Duden_Synonym.xml make make install
dictunifier used to do an ok job of this, but original seems to have vanished? Here is one mirror.
- kindle dictionaries are hard to find on amazon.com. here they are
- Actual translation dictionaries, free (German Russian Italian Croatian French Portuguese)
- Or you can convert a different dictionary into a Kindle dictionary….
- translation dictionaries for kindles
- more kindle translation dict howtos
- Roll your own kindle dictionary workflow