My mentioning and citing material to do with recreational use of controlled substances should obviously not be taken as an endorsement of recreational use of controlled substances. Indeed, if you are turning to a mathematician for intelligence on on legal of pharmacological questions, you should probably inspect your life decisions to see if any other ones you have made recently are as terrible.
Nothing to say here yet. Eventually I’d like to talk about medicalisation, and how drugs for diseases are OK, drugs for things that aren’t diseases are denounced, and what a disease is is negotiated based on… what? This all interacts with the patent system in amusing ways.
Dr Karen Hitchckock had a nice turn of phrase, which I would like to transcribe from the podcast when I have time.
- BeMu88: (1988) A theory of rational addiction. The Journal of Political Economy, 675–700.
- Mcke04: (2004) Clinical investigations of the therapeutic potential of ayahuasca: rationale and regulatory challenges. Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 102(2), 111–129. DOI
- SLSM07: (2007) Effects of ayahuasca on psychometric measures of anxiety, panic-like and hopelessness in Santo Daime members. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 112(3), 507–513. DOI
- Nutt09: (2009) Equasy — An overlooked addiction with implications for the current debate on drug harms. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 23(1), 3–5. DOI
- BCGT01: (2001) Geometric visual hallucinations, Euclidean symmetry and the functional architecture of striate cortex. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences, 356(1407), 299–330. DOI
- Stra95: (1995) Human psychopharmacology of N,N-dimethyltryptamine. Behavioural Brain Research, 73(1–2), 121–124. DOI
- SCBS17: (2017) Increased spontaneous MEG signal diversity for psychoactive doses of ketamine, LSD and psilocybin. Scientific Reports, 7, 46421. DOI
- WhBa11: (2011) Intelligence across childhood in relation to illegal drug use in adulthood: 1970 British Cohort Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, jech-2011-200252. DOI
- WhGB12: (2012) Intelligence quotient in childhood and the risk of illegal drug use in middle-age: the 1958 National Child Development Survey. Annals of Epidemiology, 22(9), 654–657. DOI
- DrGu12: (2012) Is Illicit Drug Use Harmful to Cognitive Functioning in the Midadult Years? A Cohort-based Investigation. American Journal of Epidemiology, 175(3), 218–227. DOI
- OlBa96: (1996) Rational Addiction to Caffeine: An Analysis of Coffee Consumption. The Journal of Political Economy, 104, 1100.