As seen in tomography, sparsity constraints, solvers, variational inference, deconvolution…
Robert Ackroyd had some nice phrasing around the connections between statistical estimation theory and inverse problem solving.
I thought I had something to say about this general perspective on inverse problems, but I don’t yet.
Interesting specific framings
Leaning to reconstruct has an interesting partly-learned, partly designed reconstruction operator trick.
- Buit12: Tan Bui-Thanh (2012) A Gentle Tutorial on Statistical Inversion using the Bayesian Paradigm
- Osul86: Finbarr O’Sullivan (1986) A Statistical Perspective on Ill-Posed Inverse Problems. Statistical Science, 1(4), 502–518. DOI
- WFCH17: Qi Wei, Kai Fan, Lawrence Carin, Katherine A. Heller (2017) An inner-loop free solution to inverse problems using deep neural networks. ArXiv:1709.01841 [Cs].
- DaDD04: I. Daubechies, M. Defrise, C. De Mol (2004) An iterative thresholding algorithm for linear inverse problems with a sparsity constraint. Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, 57(11), 1413–1457. DOI
- TrWr10: J. A. Tropp, S. J. Wright (2010) Computational Methods for Sparse Solution of Linear Inverse Problems. Proceedings of the IEEE, 98(6), 948–958. DOI
- FFPP13: J. L. Fernández-Martínez, Z. Fernández-Muñiz, J. L. G. Pallero, L. M. Pedruelo-González (2013) From Bayes to Tarantola: New insights to understand uncertainty in inverse problems. Journal of Applied Geophysics, 98, 62–72. DOI
- Stua10: A. M. Stuart (2010) Inverse problems: A Bayesian perspective. Acta Numerica, 19, 451–559. DOI
- AdÖk18: Jonas Adler, Ozan Öktem (2018) Learned Primal-dual Reconstruction. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 37(6), 1322–1332. DOI
- MoTa95: Klaus Mosegaard, Albert Tarantola (1995) Monte Carlo sampling of solutions to inverse problems. Journal of Geophysical Research, 100(B7), 12431.
- BoSc16: Mark Borgerding, Philip Schniter (2016) Onsager-Corrected Deep Networks for Sparse Linear Inverse Problems. ArXiv:1612.01183 [Cs, Math].
- PuWe17: Patrick Putzky, Max Welling (2017) Recurrent Inference Machines for Solving Inverse Problems. ArXiv:1706.04008 [Cs].
- ScSt12: C. Schwab, A. M. Stuart (2012) Sparse deterministic approximation of Bayesian inverse problems. Inverse Problems, 28(4), 045003. DOI