Ontology of Linux sound systems
TBD. Include the different standards, sub-standards, compatability layers, compatabiility layers standards, legacy and surly coexistence APIs.
Lengthy techradar intro
Doing stuff with Jack
Cadence reputedly eases much pain
JackAss routes midi from jack-blind hosts:
JackAss is a VST plugin that provides JACK-MIDI support for VST hosts. Simply load the plugin in your favourite host to get a JACK-MIDI port. Each new plugin instance creates a new MIDI port.
virtual ports for bidirectional patching
- How do I refer to a soundcard so that the name always works?.
- difference between qjackctl and patchbay.
- beginner's guide to jack via a DAW (Ardour)
internal routing with JACK explains why you can't make it do what you expect with routing sub-buses to different apps - you need lotsa virtual channels:
With a basic implementation of JACK now set up, we can begin to tweak JACK to our needs—internal routing. For those of you with larger 8-channel interfaces, you probably have noticed a slight problem with JACK: you do not have all eight microphone inputs available anymore! This is because we need to tell JACK how many inputs we want (both in and out).
For OS X users, simply adjust the Virtual I/O settings under Preferences until your hearts content and you should be good to go. For Linux and PC users however, things are not so easy. While the Channel I/O option sounds like a perfect match, it really does nothing most of the time. Instead we need to edit an .INI file.
- Close down JACK, as well as any connected apps.
- Go to where you installed JACK (most likely C:\Program Files(x86)\Jack).
- In the 32 or 64 bit folder (depending on what version you are using) there is a file called JackRouter.ini
- Open JackRouter.ini with Notepad, and change the input and output values to however many channels you want. Presto!
- Restart Jack Control, enter your DAW, and you should now have a multitude of inputs and outputs at your disposal.
Doing stuff with Pulseaudio
Manuel Amador Briz CC BY-SA 3.0, .
Cooperating with Jack
Jack has opinions on this:
pasuspender methods briefly mentioned.