Classic terminals, if you must, with thoughtful UI. OSX only. TBD.
Kovid Goyal made a terminal with c inner loops and python UI extensibility called kitty. It's not famous, but probably worth checking since Kovid is a powerhouse. OS/Unices.
terminator seems to be an acceptable default option for a pure native app without many frills
Alacritty is a GPU-accelerated terminal editor tat aims t draw text real fast
terminus supports some HTML graphics, and appears to work.
designerly gaphics-frienrly terminal that aims to reinvent terminal protocols. with a nice vision statement.
However it's dead in the water. Pity because ht ewriteoutp sounds nice
Some cool features
- Smart token-based input with inline autocomplete and automatic escaping
- Rich output for common tasks and formats, using MIME types + sniffing
- Asynchronous views for background / parallel tasks
- Full separation between front/back-end
TermKit is not a…
- …Web application. It runs as a regular desktop app.
- …Scripting language like PowerShell or bash. It focuses on executing commands only.
- …Full terminal emulator. It does not aim to e.g. host ‘vim’.
- …Reimplementation of the Unix toolchain. It replaces and/or enhances built-in commands and wraps external tools.