Thermodynamics, of life.
What is happening in this area, since everyone got tired of handwaving about “dissipative systems”? Prigogene’s work seems to have sunk into… disregard? disrepute? But there is a revival, recycling some of the same terms.
Shinier and newer, Jeremy England is hip… others? Is there a difference?
Popsci, Jeremy England: A new physics theory of life
John Baez and friends’ Entropy and information in biological systems shows when Shannon and Boltzmann entropy relate and how that is important for an interesting class of systems
- ViKi06: (2006) A physical analogue of the Schelling model. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 103(51), 19261–19265. DOI
- KrFl10: (2010) Better living through physics. Nature, 467, 661. DOI
- Whit04: (2004) Ecology’s Big, Hot Idea. PloS Biology, 2, 440.
- Odum73: (1973) Energy, Ecology, and Economics. Ambio, 2(6), 220–227.
- MoSm07: (2007) Energy Flow and the Organization of Life. Complexity, 13(1), 51–59. DOI
- Aoki87: (1987) Entropy Balance in Lake Biwa. Ecological Modelling, 37, 235.
- FNCT16: (2016) How Far from Equilibrium Is Active Matter? Physical Review Letters, 117(3), 038103. DOI
- Mcle98: (1998) Hyperbolic decay time series. Journal of Time Series Analysis, 19(4), 473–483. DOI
- Clar04: (2004) Is there a Universal Temperature Dependence of metabolism? Functional Ecology, 18, 252–256. DOI
- ScKa94: (1994) Life as a manifestation of the second law of thermodynamics. Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 19(6–8), 25–48.
- MaSe06: (2006) Maximum entropy production principle in physics, chemistry and biology. Physics Reports, 426, 1–45. DOI
- Lotk22: (1922) Natural Selection as a Physical Principle. PNAS, 8, 151.
- Gall73: (1973) On the Principles of Thermodynamics in Ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 4(1), 329. DOI
- Poll16: (2016) Open Markov processes: A compositional perspective on non-equilibrium steady states in biology. ArXiv:1601.00711 [Cond-Mat, Physics:Physics].
- ANPP12: (2012) Physics of Wound Healing I: Energy Considerations. ArXiv:1212.3778.
- BaPo15: (2015) Relative Entropy in Biological Systems.
- Crut92: (1992) Semantics and thermodynamics. In Nonlinear Modeling and Forecasting (pp. 317–359).
- SAGH99: (1999) Statistical physics and physiology: monofractal and multifractal approaches. Physica A: Statistical and Theoretical Physics, 270(1–2), 309–324.
- PeME14: (2014) Statistical Physics of Adaptation. ArXiv:1412.1875 [Cond-Mat, Physics:Physics, q-Bio].
- Engl13: (2013) Statistical physics of self-replication. The Journal of Chemical Physics, 139(12), 121923. DOI
- VlBa11: (2011) The contribution of statistical physics to evolutionary biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 26(8), 424–432. DOI
- Schw12: (2012) The Energetic Costs of Cellular Computation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109(44), 17978–17982. DOI
- LaMa10: (2010) The energetics of genome complexity. Nature, 467(7318), 929–934. DOI
- Juds17: (2017) The energy expansions of evolution. Nature Ecology & Evolution, 1, 0138. DOI
- Croo99: (1999) The Entropy Production Fluctuation Theorem and the Nonequilibrium Work Relation for Free Energy Differences. Physical Review E, 60(3), 2721–2726. DOI
- ReHM86: (1986) Thermodynamic treatment of nonphysical systems: Formalism and an example (Single-lane traffic). Journal of Statistical Physics, 42, 647–687. DOI
- Smit08a: (2008a) Thermodynamics of natural selection I: Energy flow and the limits on organization. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 252, 185–197. DOI
- Smit08b: (2008b) Thermodynamics of natural selection II: Chemical Carnot cycles. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 252, 198–212. DOI
- Smit08c: (2008c) Thermodynamics of natural selection III: Landauer’s principle in computation and chemistry. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 252(2), 213–220. DOI
- SSBC12: (2012) Thermodynamics of Prediction. Physical Review Letters, 109(12), 120604. DOI
- LFMM14: (2014) Thermodynamics of statistical inference by cells. Physical Review Letters, 113(14). DOI