Some things I care about are best outsourced. I mention these here because
- I believe in normalising donations as part of a healthy society. (Thsi is a qualified stance; many of the causes I donate to have the goal of reducing the need for charitable donation, which is in many cases more sustainable in the long run than only funding what attracts affluent guilt.)
- I hope that by highlightng the causes I donate to I will encourage others to donate to them
- For my own reference, I want a centralised list of who I am donating to so that I can stop my donations if I decide the recipient is no longer aligned with my values.
Listing these organisations here should obviously not be taken as my personal endorsement of any individual tactical decision made by any of them, nor my unconditional support of any position they may adopt.
Getup, because they provide a citizen interest voice to balance out the corporate interest voice at a time when citizen participation in democracy is under attack.
Australian Youth Climate Coalition, because a strong voice for the youth is needed, as they are the ones who will have the greatest proportion of their lives ruined by climate crisis.
Whonix because it is a slightly esoteric light bit of harm minimisation for avoiding the chilling effects of state surveillance of citizen, so I figure they need it more than the slightly less esoteric but still important tails.
Manyverse for exactly the same reason.
Various people on Patreon I can’t work out how to link to en masse:
- end.user whose music I love and who gives me nifty samples for my own music.
- Chris Randall because he is passionate about electronic music in a different way than I am and that is refreshing.
- The Dollop, who are smartarses about various bits of history who bring a different set of flagrant biasses to that game than your mainstream media.
- End of shi(f)t report the most harrowing and clever nursing blog I have ever read
- Oglaf because I like fancy dick jokes.
- Emiliano Heyns who build amazing infrastructure for my citations
- Michael Betancourt because he is a giant nerd doing useful nerdy things for other gint nerds like me, such as understanding diffeomorphisms.
- The Dragon Friends I like nerdy impro comedy, I cannot help it.
- Jon Rosenberg because I use his comics in my presentations all the time so her deserves a kickback
- Mat Lubchansly for the same reason
- McMansion Hell because why not support some shameless generational teasing with a bit of architectural education thrown in for free.
- N.K. Jemisin whose books I love, why not?
- The Flux Party who are trying to make direct representative democracy. I actually dislike many details about the way they are doing it, and don’t have the time to participate to try to alter those details, so will stop donating should they win a seat, but for now I think they add something interesting to the political debate.